Monday, May 15, 2006

M.I.T.

First there was identity theft (I.T.), now we have M.I.T. (medical identity theft).

This is when thieves use your name or insurance information to get medical treatment. Or, they might use it to buy prescription drugs or get reimbursed by insurance companies for services you never received.

I have to admit, this is intriguing.

False entries on health care records mean you could end up being treated based on someone else's medical history

This could also impact your ability to be approved for life or health insurance.

Often it's a call from a bill collector that alerts victims. That happened to a Colorado man who was dogged by a collection agency to pay $44,000 for surgery someone else received under his name, the report says.

I just hate it when I get a collection agency call for a surgery I didn’t even know I had.
blog comments powered by Disqus