Thursday, March 17, 2016

Silly Section 125 Tricks

Sigh.

So yesterday, I got a call from a gentleman pushing a "very special Section 125 program" that basically wrapped a limited benefit ("mini-med") plan inside a group's Section 125. I'm not really sure why one would want to do that, but I didn't talk with him long enough to find out.

Why's that, you ask?

Because the first thing he said was "it's a 125 plan with a twist."

Which of course set my spidey senses tingling. And it went downhill from there:

I responded that I was concerned about the legality of such a thing, and he assured me that "oh, they've got lawyers who vetted it, and it's got a trust."

ProTip: Never - and I do mean never - use the terms "twist" and "trust" and "Section 125" together in the same month as the Internal Revenue Code, let alone conversation.

Needless to say, I bid the gentleman good luck and adieu.

Sigh.
blog comments powered by Disqus